Comprising over 300 islands, 4,000 square miles of reefs and 1,500 species of sea life, there are plenty of reasons to volunteer on Marine Research and Conservation programs in Fiji!
Take the opportunity to learn to scuba dive, or extend your skills in this incredible marine environment of the Yasawa Islands. Then take your new skills and begin conducting underwater surveys in the warm, turquoise waters of the Pacific. Visit traditional villages and get to know the community, meet the headmen and children, and support their learning about environmental marine conservation and fishing practices.
Click here to find out more of our involvement with marine conservation.
The remote village environment and expected working hours required for the volunteer programs is not suitable for children therefore we have a minimum age policy of 16 years.
How you'll make a difference
Participating in this program you will be involved in one of or several of the following:
- Manta Ray Research – observation, identification, behavioral studies and habitat analysis through daily swimming and snorkeling with these magnificent creatures
- Reef Check Fiji – providing insight to the health of a particular reef through diving and snorkeling observation, photographing and recording of data
- Crown of Thorn Seastar (COTS) Watch – monitoring and management of a devastating predator to coral reefs
- Coral and clam nursery. Clams filter the water and keep it 'clean' which is essential for coral growth. You'll contribute to part of a nationwide program to re-introduce and disperse clams including the giant clam Tridacna gigas throughout Fiji
- Marine biodiversity database Fiji – tracking existing and new species
- Habitat mapping - providing in-depth information into the layout and composition of the reef
- Assist the educational program through teaching sustainable reef practices and teaching snorkelling skills.
Participants will also record information on sharks, rays, turtles and cetaceans spotted during their stay and also periodically other species identified on the endangered lists of Fiji to support protection efforts by the Coral Reef Allowance and Fiji Fisheries.
Information and data from our programs is provided to: Manta Trust, Fiji Fisheries, University of South Pacific, Marine Ecology Fiji & GCRMN (Global Coral Reef Monitoring Network).
We have a highly experienced team of staff leading international volunteers working on collecting data that is provided for research projects assisting in the protection of endangered marine-life. Data is also used to establish Marine Protected Areas that will provide long term benefits to the local community and help guarantee food security for future generations.
Scuba Diving Requirements: You will spend time on this expedition both snorkelling and scuba diving and as such you need to be qualified to at least Open Water Level. Non-divers can join the program following completion of a diver training training program (approx 5 days) with Reef Safari in Fiji, that will certify you up to an Open Water Level.
LOCATION: Fiji: Yasawa Islands
DURATION: 1 week to 26 weeks
Note: although volunteer programs are available from 1 week, we strongly suggest you consider at least 2 weeks in the field. The longer you spend volunteering, the more value you add and greater the benefit for communities in the Yasawa Islands.
FROM: $2,478 FJD
View price details >>
- Pre-departure support
- Discounted Services
- 24 hour emergency phone
- Arrival orientation
- Long term experienced staff
- Safe and basic accommodations (dormitory as standard)
- Welcome meeting
- All meals prepared and provided by resort or village
- Location and cultural orientation
- All necessary project training by experienced staff
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- 24 hour in-country support
- Teamwork and leadership experience
- Transfer to base location
- Construction materials
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa costs
- Personal kit
- Additional drinks & gratuities
- Extra local excursions
- International and domestic airport taxes
- Pre-post accommodation
The volunteer work is so rewarding and to reward yourself even further, all you have to do is look around you and admire the stunning surroundings of the Yasawas. There are two things you can take for granted in the Yasawas: the amazing scenery and the wonderful, warm people who you'll live and work alongside. Find out about your volunteering accommodation, meals, housekeeping and what you're options are when it come so the weekends.
More about life on the Job >>
You'll be working hard, so surely you deserve a holiday and you simply must explore this wonderful region of Fiji! During your volunteering program, you'll be right in the heart of some of the world's most spectacular islands, ringed by gorgeous coral lagoons and within a stone's throw of the famous Blue Lagoon. So why not add on a holiday pre or post volunteering?
Check out some of our great Fiji travel deals >>
You are welcome to ask more questions. Please contact us to make an enquiry.